Every Gnome Needs a Home.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snowed-In with the Stunjas

Friday:

Last weekend, my husband, daughter and I enjoyed a 30-minute run in our neighborhood. The temperature--in the 60's. Our apparel--t-shirts and shorts. It's Winter in North Carolina, mind you, hence the reason why we skimped on our threads and spent a good majority of our run gushing about how amazing the weather felt!

Yesterday afternoon(Friday)--news reporters were well-equipped with rumors of snow, 6-9 inches. The last time they reported snow in the triangle, our neck of the woods saw nothing but wimpy wisps of white fairy dust. I was disappointed. Yesterday, however, my cynism got the better of me and what do you know, more than just a sheer dusting of white fluff covered the ground before me and before I knew it my husband, daughter, and I were snowed-in with our very good friends, the Stunjas. They graciously let us bunk with them and lent us pj's, blankets, and pillows. We rested our tired eyes(except for Juniper and me...ugh, we chatted and snacked all night).

Saturday:

We peeked out from behind the window's curtains--a frosted North Carolinian Narnia stood still and peaceful. And so, my friends, the party began. The hubby, bebe, Stunja's and I lounged around, ate yummy food, sang, laughed and enjoyed eachother's company all day long. Food was first on the day's menu: Blueberry waffles, mangos, apples, bacon(a little crispy but delicious nonetheless!), scrambled eggs, toast, and oj. My hubby and Mr. Stunja played Jeopardy during the earling morn, then Mrs. Stunja, Juniper, and I joined them to play Cranium. Next in line was a little afternoon nap, then a game of Extreme Life. Dinner stopped by and we said hi for awhile. Stuffed ourselves once again and resumed our game of Extreme Life. I won, by the way, ending up with 3 million dollas in the bank.

At about 10PM we decided that it was time to brave the snowy roads. All day long I was concerned about hitting the roads--I've never been one to enjoy driving in the snow, despite having years of practising in Iowa. But we did it, we left the Stunjas and found ourselves the only car driving on the Durham Freeway. It was a little creepy...like post-apocalyptic Durham.

It was the best sleep-over yet! Can't wait for the next big snow in NC!

0 comments: