Every Gnome Needs a Home.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Tree of Life Painting...A Work in Progress!!!








Not counting stagecraft and scenework for Central College, this will be my first acrylic painting since high school--which, strangely enough, was five years ago. When Jered suggested that I paint a canvas for our living room, feelings of nervousness and excitement overcame me. I began to enthusiastically sketch a dramatic version of the Tree of Life, wondering how I would deliver the same twists, turns and shades with acrylic. Needless to say, the canvas looks very little like the sketch I drew. That is a normal circumstance, however. I tend to deliver without a lot of logical processing--instead, more intuitive feeling. There are parts of the tree that reveal my emotions on a certain day, or perhaps my need to let go and sink into the colors, shapes and bold expressions. This tree has certainly been one full of life. My husband and I are busily packing and preparing for our first move into a home (closing is tomorrow!). I'm thankful that my husband suggested I paint a canvas, for I miscalculated how therapeutic painting can be. I do not feel "stressed" over this move, in fact, I feel as though everything leading up this point has helped with the transition, including this Edgar Allen Poe tree that's waiting for more leaves to sprout from it's corners.
-aimee

0 comments: